RootsTech 2018 Photo + Story CompetitionSALT LAKE CITY, UTAH–A good photo tells a good story. And behind every good photo and story is a photographer who recognized the moment the two had come together and snapped the shutter. RootsTech 2018 is sponso…
Presenter: Nancy Loe
Presenter: Tina Beaird
Presenter: Jill Morelli
Presenter: Bryna O’Sullivan
Presenter: Peggy Clemens Lauritzen AG
Presenter: Melissa Barker
Presenter: Jean Wilcox Hibben
Presenter: Lisa Oberg
Registration: Stay tuned!**
** GoToWebinar only allows scheduling less than one year in advance. Check back after December 1, 2017, for the registration link.
Presenter: Angela Walton-Raji
Registration: Stay tuned!**
** GoToWebinar only allows scheduling less than one year in advance. Check back after December 1, 2017 for the registration link.
The Family History Researcher Academy has revealed a Black Friday Week sale offer on their English/Welsh Family History Course up to and including December 1st
You can now benefit from a trail access over the first month for just $1. Then receive a 20% discount on the following months. Instead of paying the regular $14 per month you will get to enjoy full access for only $11 a month.
Delivered online, these modules can be studied at your own pace and are a great way to discover the records and archives to use when searching for your elusive English or Welsh ancestors.
If you sign up between now and the 1st December 2017, using the special link, then you’ll receive one module a week plus some extra bonus reports and videos to help you find your English or Welsh ancestors. This course is packed with 12 month’s worth of material to help research for ancestors from England and Wales. Students will become much more knowledgeable researchers, with the tools to break down many of their brick walls.
Presented from a practical point of view with lessons contributed by professional genealogists, online data experts and by compiler of the course – Nick Thorne. Nick researches ancestors for private clients and has worked on various projects for one of the leading British genealogical research websites. He is a regular contributor to a number of the U.K. family history magazines and blogs regularly.
November 23, 2017
Austin, Texas – The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) is pleased to announce new pension images available at our hosting partner, Fold3. As we detailed in August of this year, conservation had resumed and digitization would shortly follow on War of 1812 Pension files covering surnames M(Moore)-Q. This new release of images is the first installment on the promise made by FGS, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and Ancestry to complete the project we started and to which you all have so generously contributed. Additional images will follow as the Ancestry digitization team continues to refine their process and achieve full capacity in accord with NARA protocols.
The War of 1812 pensions are among the most frequently requested set of materials within NARA’s holdings, yet had never been microfilmed or digitized. Through a fundraising effort unprecedented in the genealogical community, more than 4,000 individuals, 115 genealogical and lineage societies, and industry leaders such as FamilySearch helped FGS secure the funds, matched by Ancestry, to preserve and share this invaluable genealogical resource. The images already captured, as well as those soon to be, are hosted at Fold3 and available for free at https://go.fold3.com/1812pensions/
“The Federation remains grateful to our partners and our supporters for their commitment to this important project. We are as excited as our community to reach this milestone.” – Rorey Cathcart, FGS President
“Accelerating public access to our holdings is key to successfully meeting NARA’s mission and we are extremely pleased to see this project contribute to that overarching goal.” Pamela Wright, Chief Innovation Officer, NARA
“We are excited to have images flowing to the Fold3 site again and look forward to completing the collection as quickly as NARA’s process will allow.” Brian Hansen, GM Fold3
The Federation is committed to seeing the entire collection conserved, digitized and freely online at the earliest possible date. We will continue work with our partners to complete the current project plan in a timely manner and to secure a project plan for the remaining portion of the War of 1812 Pension files.
About the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS)
The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) was founded in 1976 and represents genealogical, historical, and lineage organizations throughout the United States. The Federation empowers the genealogical community through its annual conference, publications (including FGS FORUM) and projects. The Federation was the driving force behind the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors project alongside the National Parks Service and since 2010 has been actively involved in Preserve the Pensions, an effort to raise more than $3 million to digitize and make freely available the pension files from the War of 1812. To learn more visit http://www.fgs.org.
About the National Archives (NARA)
The National Archives and Records Administration is an independent federal agency that serves American democracy by safeguarding and preserving the records of our Government, so people can discover, use, and learn from this documentary heritage. The National Archives ensures continuing access to the essential documentation of the rights of American citizens and the actions of their government. From the Declaration of Independence to accounts of ordinary Americans, the holdings of the National Archives directly touch the lives of millions of people. The agency supports democracy, promotes civic education, and facilitates historical understanding of our national experience. The National Archives carries out its mission through a nationwide network of archives, records centers, and Presidential Libraries, and online at www.archives.gov
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records, and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than 2.6 million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites and DNA data from more than 5 million people. Since 1996, more than 10 billion historical records have been added to Ancestry’s databases, and users have created more than 90 million family trees on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products and services including AncestryDNA, Archives, AncestryProGenealogists, Newspapers.com and Fold3. AncestryDNA is owned and operated by Ancestry.com DNA, LLC, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com, LLC.
Federation of Genealogical Societies
PO Box 200940
Austin, TX 78720-0940
phone: +1 (888) 347-1500
End the Confusion and Increase Your Discoveries with DNA eWorkshop: After the Test
Ancestry.com, 23andMe, MyHeritage and Family TreeDNA have done a great job of generating excitement and involvement in genetic testing. Unfortunately, After the Test, many people have more questions than answers.
Examples from the testing companies 23andMe, AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA, and MyHeritage DNA will be used to explain genetic genealogy concepts and the tools available on the websites. Also, the third-party website Gedmatch.com will be used to show how anyone can take advantage of tools to expand their genealogical research. You’ll learn 8 steps you need to do to help your DNA testing be effective
eWorkshop Times and Dates
Webinars are broadcast on Thursday (Nov. 30, Dec. 7, Dec. 14) at 7 pm Central Time. The workshop platform allows for live interaction with the presenter during the lecture, rather than waiting until the end. Each workshop concludes with a review quiz to measure what you’ve learned!
Participants will receive assignments to practice what they’ve learned during each session and bring to the next workshop for further learning and question and answer.
The eWorkshop replay will be available within 24 hours after the broadcast for registered participants.
$19.99 Early Bird pricing extends until November 20th for six hours of online education. After that, the price will be $24.99. Register at https://www.familyhistoryfanatics.com/online-events.
About Andy Lee, Family History Fanatics
Andy Lee has 30 years of family history experience. During high school, he wrote a contest-winning essay about an American Revolution ancestor.
As a member of Toastmaster’s International, Andy has achieved the status of Competent Communicator and has won several storytelling contests. He has given presentations throughout the US and Canada to professional organizations, university classes, local genealogy societies, family history conferences, and Boy Scout organizations. Andy’s topics range beyond genealogy to include engineering, problem-solving, finances, business building and emergency preparedness.
He has authored the comical “How to Fail English With Style” and is the co-author of “A Recipe for Writing Family History” and “Reimagine Family History.” He has also started a DNA Recombination project to investigate how genes are passed down from grandparents to grandchildren. To learn more about that project email email@example.com
BURBANK, Calif. (Nov. 1, 2017) – Pixar Animation Studios’ all-new original film “Coco” welcomes a host of brands to the family for an in-depth promotional campaign, including Airbnb, Ancestry, Chatbooks, Guitar Center, the Herdez® Brand, Purple, Southwest Airlines, Subway® and SunRype. Directed by Lee Unkrich (“Toy Story 3”), co-directed by Adrian Molina (story artist “Monsters University”) and produced by Darla K. Anderson (“Toy Story 3”), Disney•Pixar’s “Coco” opens in U.S. theaters on Nov. 22, 2017.
According to Lylle Breier, senior vice president, global marketing partnerships for The Walt Disney Studios, the story itself is the campaign’s greatest strength. “‘Coco’ celebrates family, chasing your dreams and the power of music,” said Breier. “The film’s themes really resonated with each of these extraordinary brands, inspiring them to create compelling programs.”
The “Coco” promotional campaign features the following brands.
- Airbnb is set to launch its promotion this month to inspire family travel in Airbnb listings around Mexico. The campaign will be shown in both Mexican and US national TV, and on Airbnb’s digital and social platforms. Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong when they travel by being connected to local cultures and having unique travel experiences. Its community marketplace provides access to millions of unique accommodations from apartments and villas to castles and treehouses in more than 65,000 cities and 191 countries.
- Ancestry will launch an integrated marketing campaign centered around discovering your past to inspire your future, just as main character Miguel does in “Coco.” This includes custom cinema and digital videos telling the story of Miguel’s journey in unlocking his family story to pave way for his future, a digital video of the “Coco” filmmakers getting their AncestryDNA revealed, an interactive Rivera family tree experience on Ancestry.com, and an influencer screening with top Disney influencers prior to film release. Ancestry harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. With more than 2.6 million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites and more than 6 million people in the AncestryDNA network, Ancestry is the global leader in family history and consumer genomics.
- Chatbooks is an app to create fast and affordable photo books directly from your phone’s camera roll or social media. The family-founded company offers an easy solution for people (especially parents!) who don’t have time to make photo books. Fans of the film can use Chatbooks to create an interactive “Coco” photo book that encourages everyone from children to the young at heart to celebrate their own unique family story.
- Guitar Center is working with Cordoba Guitars and “Coco” to inspire a new generation of musicians. Guitar Center is the world’s largest retailer of musical instruments, recording, live sound, DJ and lighting equipment. With more than 280 stores across the U.S. and one of the top direct sales websites in the industry, Guitar Center has helped people make music for more than 50 years. Guitar Center also provides customers with various musician-based in-house services, including Guitar Center Lessons, where musicians of all ages and skill levels can learn to play a variety of instruments in many music genres. With an unrivaled in-store experience, an industry-leading online presence and passionate commitment to making gear easy to buy, Guitar Center is all about enabling musicians and non-musicians to experience the joy that comes from playing an instrument.
- The HERDEZ® Brand campaign combines the world of “Coco” and the vibrant flavors of HERDEZ® products. Their new television commercial focuses on the joy of bringing families together through food. The animated commercial takes fans to the “Coco”-inspired colorful lands, filled with the great traditions of Mexico. The spot also captures the qualities of Miguel’s family from the movie and combines food, tradition and fun through HERDEZ® -inspired Mexican dishes and family moments. HERDEZ® Brand is the No.1 selling salsa brand in Mexico and a growing staple in homes across the United States. In addition to Salsa Casera, the product line includes Salsa Verde and Guacamole Salsa. HERDEZ® authentic Mexican salsas are available nationwide at major grocery stores. Visit www.herdeztraditions.com/DisneyPixarCoco.
- Purple launched in January 2016, quickly becoming an emerging leader in the development and manufacturing of innovative comfort products, including the world’s first No Pressure™ Mattress. Purple helps the world sleep and sit more comfortably with patented cushioning technology made from 20 years of innovation and a little bit of pixie dust. Purple pairs advanced products with world-class digital marketing to stand out as the world’s only comfort technology brand. No matter how you sit or sleep, Purple is here to help you feel and live better.
- Southwest Airlines, the largest domestic carrier, serving more than 115 million passengers yearly, is connecting customers to Disney•Pixar’s all-new adventure “Coco,” celebrating the culture and traditions of Mexico. The airline is showcasing the beauty of the film in a high-flying way with the “Coco”-themed Boeing 737-700 aircraft flying among the carrier’s fleet throughout the United States, Mexico and Caribbean through the end of 2017. Customers can enjoy the airline’s Disney•Pixar “Coco” OnDemand Channel onboard WiFi-equipped flights beginning Nov. 1.
- Subway® restaurants will offer six collectable backpack tags featuring the vibrant artwork from “Coco”—one in every Subway® Fresh Fit for Kids Meal. Broadcast and digital video creative integrate core themes from the film, including a passion for music and the importance of family, with the Subway® Fresh Fit for Kids Meal. The program will also feature creative assets across owned and paid digital platforms along with in-store merchandising in over 26,000 restaurants. Guests in 113 countries have easy access to a fresh lineup of vegetables for their made-to-order sandwiches and salads at more than 44,400 franchised locations. Sandwich Artists™ serve 7 million sandwiches a day around the world. The company, founded over 50 years ago by then 17-year-old Fred DeLuca and family-friend Dr. Peter Buck, is still a family-owned business with thousands of dedicated franchisees in neighborhoods around the world. www.subway.com.
- SunRype, the maker of healthy snacks, will place co-branded displayers in the produce departments of grocers across the country. Their digital sweepstakes* will award a trip for a family of four to see the film’s Hollywood premiere as well as other great weekly prize packages. SunRype’s featured product Fruit to Go fruit strips are a convenient portable snack made of simple ingredients: apple purees and juice concentrate—natural flavors with nothing artificial. SunRype grew out of the fresh fruit business in 1946, and have since continued to find the perfect balance of great taste and healthy goodness. Their philosophy is to use simple, straightforward ingredients. SunRype goodness is shared with families all across the USA and other parts of the world. *Sweepstakes’ abbreviated rules: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. October 2nd, 2017 at 8:00am PT and ends on October 20, 2017, at midnight PT for the Premiere Trip Sweepstakes & October 23rd through to November 24th, 2017 for the weekly prize packages. US only. 18+ https://buff.ly/2fXK4gI
ABOUT THE MOVIE
Despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music, Miguel (voice of Anthony Gonzalez) dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz (voice of Benjamin Bratt). Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Héctor (voice of Gael García Bernal), and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel’s family history. Directed by Lee Unkrich (“Toy Story 3”), co-directed by Adrian Molina (story artist “Monsters University”) and produced by Darla K. Anderson (“Toy Story 3”), Disney•Pixar’s “Coco” opens in U.S. theaters on Nov. 22, 2017. For more information, check out http://movies.disney.com/coco, Hashtag: #PixarCoco, Pixar Coco Facebook, Pixar Coco Twitter and Pixar Coco Instagram.
Over 2 million new military records available to search this Findmypast FridayThere are over 2 million brand new military records available to search this Findmypast Friday, including;Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of HonourSearch over 1.7 mil…
Press Release – APG Announces New Officers, Board and Committee MembersAssociation of Professional Genealogists Announces New Officers, Board and Committee Members: Billie Stone Fogarty M.Ed. Named President for Second Term to World’s Largest…
Your cousin, A.J.